Monday 30 April 2012

Interview – Maz Totterdell

Interview – Maz Totterdell



From one sensation to another: today we can offer an interview with the obscenely talented Maz Totterdell. Channelling early Laura Marling without the plastic Americana, and drawing on a glorious tradition of female singer-songwriters starting with Joni Mitchell, Maz writes chipper, evocative folk music that could drag a smile from even the most seasoned hipster. From the bouncy optimism of ‘Smile On Sunshine’ to the introspective and touching ‘Counting On My Fingers’, her debut album Sweep is set to take the country by storm, and she was kind enough to answer a few questions before she’s overwhelmed by mainstream success. Oh, and did I mention that she’s only fifteen?
How are you feeling about the album, now that the release date is getting so close?
So far, the album’s done really well and I’m happy with how it’s been selling, but I’m really looking forward to when the hard copy is officially released because of all the effort I put into the artwork.
Have you felt under pressure recording Sweep after such a great response to your BBC Introducing session?
I actually recorded the album before the BBC Introducing session, when I was fourteen. I didn’t feel under any pressure whilst recording it though – it was done in a shed in the middle of nowhere, all the musicians were friends of mine, and in tea breaks we had picnics on the grass. It was a very laid-back atmosphere, perfect for recording a debut album!
How long has it taken to write the record? Was it an immediate reaction to your increased exposure, or were most of the tracks already written and in place?
I wrote quite a lot of the tracks when I was twelve and thirteen, and some just a few weeks before I started recording the album! So really, it took me about two and a half years to write the album.
How would you define success as a musician?
Success, for me, is being happy and comfortable with what I do – so if I end up with a decent fanbase who all love and get inspiration from my music, that’s success! I’m not too bothered about megastardom and international fame.
How did you get into music initially?
My parents are both musicians so I grew up going to gigs and watching them play guitar in the living room. I started playing guitar when I was about eleven and started writing songs straight away.
Do you see your age as something that could hinder people’s impressions of your music?
It’s very difficult question – I think age is just a number and should be overlooked, since it’s about the music, not the person – but I also understand that people might be slightly put off listening to my music because of my age. Saying that, there are a great number of musicians my age anyway, take Birdy for example.
There are elements of Lisa Mitchell and early Laura Marling to your songs, at least to me. Who have been your major musical influences?
Funnily enough, Lisa and Laura are both two of my biggest influences – they both inspired me a great deal, especially with songwriting. Also, Florence & the Machine (her lyrics are so beautiful). Taylor Swift inspired me to start writing songs in the first place, so I guess I owe her a lot!
What’s the next step and your plans for the rest of 2012?
I’m playing at a few festivals in the summer, and as many gigs as possible. I guess I’ll just have to see what happens – 2012 has been a good year for me already, and I’m just hoping it’ll get better and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment